LOS ANGELES PRINTMAKING SOCIETY 21ST NATIONAL EXHIBITION
OCTOBER 26 – DECEMBER 14, 2013
Opening Reception October 26, 5-9 PM
Art Galleries, California State University, Northridge, CA
The Los Angeles Printmaking Society (LAPS) is pleased to announce the upcoming Los Angeles Printmaking Society 21st National Exhibition. LAPS is a major printmaking organization with over 400 US and Canadian active printmakers, in addition to associate, student, patron and honorary members. Its educational arm, the LAPS Foundation, awards grants to printmaking students, supports the LAPS educational activities and supports the Nationals with cash awards. Based in Los Angeles, with the Board members from that area, it serves its members by organizing exhibitions, educational events, and publishing newsletters, journals and catalogs.
The Los Angeles Printmaking Society 21st National Exhibition, a major printmaking event open to US and Canadian printmakers, the largest West Coast competition, opens at the Art Galleries of California State University Northridge (CSUN). In addition to the 56 prints selected from 1,423 submitted entries by close to 500 competing artists, the juror, Jack Rutberg, selected 7 prints from the invited local presses. The exhibition features many large–scale prints.
Jack Rutberg, an internationally known curator, collector and consultant for more than 30 years, represents a wide range of American and European artists through his gallery in Los Angeles. He is credited with bringing significant artists to broader attention and has published catalogs on the work of Hannelore Baron, Hans Burkhardt, Claire Falkenstein and Patrick Graham. In his National catalog essay he says “I am very pleased with the final group of 56 works chosen for this exhibition. Each of these works evokes my response – wishing that I could see another work by the artist. I think the viewers of this exhibition will feel the same.”
Traditionally, the LAPS honors one artist at its National. The honoree this time is June Wayne, who was the founder and director of the Tamarind Lithography Workshop. Ms. Wayne had been an Honorary Member of LAPS and actively engaged in the printmaking community of Los Angeles.
Special Exhibition Events:
- Saturday, October 26, 5-9 PM - Letterpress demonstration by Mark Barbour, director, International Printing Museum
- Monday, October 28, 10 AM - Gallery walk through
- Saturday, November 9, 2-4 PM – “Printmaking in the 21st Century” - panel discussion moderated by historian Betty Ann Brown, PhD
- Saturday, November 9 and Sunday, November 10, Monothon - monoprint marathon –
Register on line- LAPSmonothon2013Saturday.evenbrite.com
- Satellite Exhibition: “Another View III” – October 22 – November 15, 2013 – a selection of fifty prints from submissions that were not selected for the National –juried by faculty members, Vinita Voogd and Rick Reese, and Gallery Director/Curator at Saddle Back College for this exhibit:
Opening Reception, October 22, 5-8 PM
Saddle Back College, Mission Viejo, CA.
The Los Angeles 21st National Exhibition will be held at the Art Galleries, California State University Northridge, Northridge, CA. 81811 Nordhoff Street, Northridge, CA. 818-677-2226, www.csun.edu/artgalleries - LAPS: www.laprintmakers.com